Hot water systems generally last a long time. Until they break down all of a sudden and leave you cold and shivering. So how long do the hot water systems last and how can you increase their lifespan? In this article, we will discuss the types of hot water systems and their lifespan.
Types of hot water systems
The hot water systems are of two kinds:
- Continuous – They come without tanks and can heat water whenever required, hence also called instant hot water heaters. They can last for 20 years.
- Storage – The water is heated and stored in tanks. As for the tank-based hot water systems, it is prone to corrosion, leakage and faults in heating elements over time. Manufacturers usually offer 5-10 year warranties for the tanks and on average storage hot water systems last around 10 years.
Bonus Read: Storage VS Continuous Hot Water Systems
Hot water system lifespan explained
The lifespan of the hot water system also depends on your usage, maintenance, and quality of water. If your house gets a supply of hard water, the internal components would get damaged quickly and reduce the lifespan by nearly 2 years.
- Gas hot water systems (Tank): 8-12 years
- Gas hot water systems (Tankless): 20 years
- Electric hot water systems (Tank): 10-15 years
- Electric hot water systems (Tankless): 20 years
- Solar hot water systems: 10-20 years
Modern water heaters come without tanks and last twice as long as the traditional water heaters. With regular maintenance, you can increase its lifespan by almost 10 more years.
How to check the manufacturing date of your hot water system?
Check for the manufacturer’s label on the upper side of the cylinder. The label would have the manufacturing date or serial number. If you cannot find the manufacturing date, look up your serial number on the manufacturer’s website. If it is breaking down frequently or reached the 10-12 year mark, consider upgrading your hot water system.
How to extend the life of your hot water system?
Did you know electric hot water systems fail mostly in winters? We use more hot water during winters. Also, the outside temperature is colder, causing the hot water system to work harder. The most common issues arise due to a lack of regular maintenance. With these tips, you can avoid breakdowns in winters and enjoy your steamy hot showers!
- Regular maintenance can make a huge difference. A licensed plumber can ensure that your system is running properly, identify issues, and resolve them before they become big problems. It is recommended to have the system serviced bi-annually. Speak to your local plumbers at Brisbane Plumbing and Drainage for hot water system maintenance if you live in the Brisbane area.
- Look for cracks, corrosion, and water leaks from top to bottom of your water heater. Regular inspection can alert you to small problems before they become major issues.
- Replace the anode rods, pressure and hot water tempering valve every 5 years or as required.
Your local hot water experts in Brisbane
With some TLC you can extend the lifespan of your hot water system. If your hot water system is leaking or you aren’t getting enough hot water, call the hot water experts at Brisbane Plumbing and Drainage on 1300 616 203 today!