What is a type A Gas Appliance?
Gas appliances are widely used - but did you know they are categorised into 2 categories - Type A and Type B Gas Devices.
The type A gas appliances are mass-produced and used commonly for residential or light commercial purposes. However, type B devices are used mainly for industrial and heavy commercial purposes. Whether you are a homeowner or a commercial business owner, it is vital to understand the differences between these two and who can work on these systems.
In this article, we discuss the Type A and Type B gas appliances and what licenses are required to install these gas devices. If you have any questions or need more information on our gas fitting services, do not hesitate to contact us.
Type A Gas Appliances
These gas appliances are used primarily for domestic and light commercial purposes and have approval badge from the Australian Gas Association (AGA).
Type A gas appliances include:
- Gas cooking appliances like stoves, cooktops
- Gas log appliance
- Gas refrigerator
- Domestic barbecue
- Gas-fired ducted air heater
- Gas air conditioner ( capacity to consume gas no more than 500 MJ in an hour)
- Gas laundry dryer
- Space Heaters
- Gas Hot Water System
- Stove tops
- Pool heater
- LPG mobile industrial direct fired air heater
- LPG portable and mobile appliance
- overhead radiant tube gas heater
- portable gas generator (capacity to consume no more than 500MJ in an hour)
- radiant gas heater for outdoor and non-residential use
Commercial gas catering equipment like:
- Atmospheric steamer
- Barbecue griller
- Chinese cooking table
- Food warmer
- Boiling water dispenser
- Pasta cooker
Who can install type A gas devices?
An individual who has a gas work license can work on Type A gas devices
Type of license
- Gas Work license - A full gas work license allows an individual to carry out all types of gas work on a gas system
- Gas work license(servicing) - Allows an individual to service, repair and test Type A gas devices
- Gas work license ( servicing and caravan certification)
- Gas work license (hydrocarbon refrigerant) - Allows an individual to work on devices which use fuel gas as refrigerant
Type B Gas Appliances
These appliances are not approved by the AGA and require special certification before installation.
According to the Gas Safety Act, type B appliances ave a gas consumption of more than 10 MJ/h and doesn’t include a type A appliance.
Type B gas appliances include industrial and commercial appliances like:
- Refrigeration system
- Fuel gas system for vehicles
- Gas turbines
- Process kilns
- Rotary calciner
- Steam appliances
The installation of these appliances needs to comply with the Australian standard AS 3814. You also need to take permission from
Who can install type B gas devices?
An individual who has a gas work authorisation can work on type B devices.
Types of authorisations
Gas work authorisation is of 4 types:
- Industrial appliances
- Motor fuel
- Major projects
Need gasfitter for residential or commercial purposes?
Whether you need a gas installation, boiler repairs or need emergency gas repairs, you can count on Brisbane Plumbing and Drainage. With our 24 x 7 emergency services, we have your back any time, come rain, hail or shine!
Our gas fitters are qualified to install gas devices for any job whether it is a residential, light commercial installation or an industrial gas installation. Contact us on 1300 740 206 or complete our online gasfitting enquiry form.
- Can a plumber do gas fitting?
- What is a gas compliance certificate?
- What to do if you have a Gas Leak
Brisbane Plumbing and Drainage Reviews