Tips to prevent blocked drains
Blocked drains are annoying and can leave a stinking mess. Wet wipes, paper towels, coffee grinds, and grease build-up are common culprits behind clogged drains. Some more reasons for your blocked drains can include:
- Tree roots
- a build up of fat, oil or grease
- 'Flushable' wipes
- Toiletries - eg cotton buds, cotton balls, make up removal pads
- Feminine hygiene products
- Soap scup build up
- Disposing solid food items in the sink
Fortunately, there are some early signs of blocked drains that you can keep an eye out form. Some of the common signs of blocked drains include:
Slowly draining water
- The water can accumulate in your sink or over the drain and clear out slowly.
- If the blockage is bad, water may pool and not drain away at all.
The water level in the toilet bowl may rise higher when you flush or it may be lower than usual.
Nasty smelling drains
Over time, the solids trapped in the blockage can begin to decompose and release a foul smell.
Gurgling noise from drains
Clogged drains will create a gurgling sound as the water clears away.
How to prevent blocked drains?
In the kitchen
- Collect grease and cooking oil in a container and throw it in the bin instead of disposing of it down the sink.
- Use plug strainer or waste food grinder in the kitchen sink to collect food particles and throw them in the bin.
- Rinse cutlery and plates before placing them in the dishwasher as it prevents blockage in the dishwasher.
- Use coffee grounds for composting or throw them in the bin.
- Regularly pour boiling water down the kitchen sink drain to prevent clogs from fat, oil and grease build up.
Do not dispose of the following items in the toilet:
- 'Flushable' wet wipes - they do not break down
- Feminine hygiene products like tampons, pads
- Paper towel
- Hard objects like toys, batteries, etc, that kids may throw in the toilet.
In the bathroom
- Catch hair in the bathroom or shower drain using screens or grates
- Use a lint catcher in the washing machine to prevent your laundry tub from backing up and overflowing.
How to prevent blocked stormwater drains?
- Place stormwater grates on the drain at all times to ensure the debris doesn’t create a blockage
- Keep your garden clean and well maintained
- Remove leaves, tree branches, and get the stormwater drains cleaned twice in a year
Other tips to prevent blocked drains:
- Avoid using harsh chemicals to clean drains
- Hire a licensed plumber to carry clear the drains. It’s better to have a plumber inspect and clean the drains before they become clogged. Prevention is better than cure! It might seem futile to have plumbing inspections done when there’s no problem. But it would be better to avoid a disastrous blocked drain problem and than spend a lot of money on clearing blocked drains.
Blocked Drains Specialists Brisbane
If you need any assistance or more information about maintaining your drains, give us a call on 1300 740 206 or fill in our online blocked drain enquiry form. We provide 24 hour emergency plumber services in Brisbane, Logan and Redland Bay.
Brisbane Plumbing and Drainage Reviews